Monday, October 20, 2008

Health Update

As you know, Laurel was weighed at her 4 month appointment on Sept. 29 at 11 lbs. 8 oz. Since this dropped off the curve of where she was the doctor wanted to see us back in two weeks for a weight check. I went back Oct. 13 and she weighed 11 lbs. 8 and 1/2 oz. So, she had only gained 1/2 an ounce in two weeks. We were told to try supplementing and to also try to actively increase my supply. So, I've been taking Fenugreek and drinking LOTS of liquid! We have also been offering a bottle of formula after each feeding. She has taken anywhere from 2-8 oz. after a feeding! We went back today for a one week check-up and she is now weighing 12 lbs. 15 oz! So, she gained 1 and 1/2 pounds in a week! She is noticeably heavier...and seems a lot happier. I think the extra calories are giving her more energy.

When I first found out I would have to do this I was understandably upset. I felt defeated and mad at my body for not doing its job...but I've come to realize that not all babies are alike and you do what you've got to do for the health of your baby. So, we will continue to nurse and supplement for now.

No comments: